top of page
  • What requires a permit and how do I get one?
    Most property development, alterations, or repairs will require a permit. Please see the below list for application forms, which correspond to common work.
  • How much does a permit cost?
    All development and permit fees can be found in the Town’s schedule of rates and fees.
  • Where can I find policies and regulations?
    Please visit the Policies and Regulations page.
  • What is the discretionary use process?
    In any use classification under the Town’s Development regulations, for each zone there are permitted uses and discretionary uses. Permitted Uses are those which, as long as the applicant meets the minimum standards of the development regulations, must be approved. Discretionary Uses are those whose use, though complimentary to the zoning of a given area, may be of a sensitive nature to abutting uses. Therefore, a discretionary use application is subject to public notification per Section 4.14 of the Town’s Development Regulations, comment and consideration by Planning Committee. This ensures appropriate development occurs in a given area balancing the objectives of an applicant with the greater public good. If your application is determined to be a Discretionary Use for your zone, then payment of the Discretionary Use fee is required (in lieu of processing fee, see most recent Schedule of Rates and Fees) to initiate the 14-day public notice period. The Town will post notice on its website for two weeks, to allow the public to submit comments. At the close of the notice period, staff and Council will consider all responses as part of the review of the application. If no representations are received, Council has provided directive to the Planning Department to approve the use at their discretion. The application may be refused, approved, or approved with conditions. The applicant will be sent a letter outlining Council’s decision. If approved, the file will return to normal processing queue, and any further standard requirements, fees and securities will apply.
  • How high can I build my fence?
    The permitted height of a fence can be found by reading the Town’s fence regulations.
  • What size shed or garage can I build?
    The maximum permissible size of an accessory building depends on the area of the lot or if you are in a heritage district or have a heritage property. The regulations regarding accessory building size can be found on the back of the accessory buildings application.
  • How do I appeal a development decision?
    Any person may appeal a development decision of the Town to the Eastern Newfoundland Regional Appeal Board within 14 days from the time that the applicant is notified of the decision. Learn more.
  • Can I apply to take in a laneway or right of way?
    It is Council’s intention to support the continued viability of Bonavista’s traditional neighborhoods with policies in place that will preserve traditional laneways and right-of-ways.
  • Signage/Advertisement Standards & Regulations
    The intent of the Signage Standards and Regulations to balance the visibility of signage with an attractive appearance in the community. The Town regulates signage to establish a level playing field for all businesses by being consistent with approvals. The Town of Bonavista has placed directional signage in strategic locations around the community. These are the only road signs permitted in Bonavista. All other road signs that are erected without Council approval will be removed immediately. Business operators may apply for signage with the Fingerboard Signage Application. Yearly signage fees apply. It is important to note that signage on or in front of a business storefront as well as temporary signage outside a business storefront such as sidewalk signs are permitted. Temporary signage must be removed at the end of each day.
  • What is an accessory building?
    A detached subordinate building not used as a dwelling, located on the same lot as the main building to which it is an accessory and which has a use that is customarily incidental or complementary to the main use of the building or land, for residential uses, domestic garages, carports, ramps, sheds, swimming pools, greenhouses, cold frames, fuel sheds, vegetables storage cellars, shelters for domestic pets or radio and television antennae, for commercial uses, workshops or garages, and for industrial uses, garages, offices, raised ramps and docks. (Refer to Minister’s Development Regulations, January 2, 2001)
  • Do I require off-street parking?
    Yes. The off-street parking requirements for land uses set out in the Municipal Plan.
bottom of page